Friday, February 5, 2010

Solo Outing Part 2!

So today I decided to take on the touristy places most people see their first few days in Rome. I figured since I've been here for nearly a month already, it was about time to get out and see the Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, and S. Peter's Square and Basilica! Today was a little dreary, and the pictures look dark because of it. But I'm sure you can google any of these places for sunnier looking pictures.

Ok So I start my day taking the metro to the Barberini stop and, after staring at the map over and over to figure out where to go, found my way to the Trevi, passing by really cute shops that I might meander through at a later date. So here are my Trevi pictures:







I could hear the water a little while before I got there and it was actually what I thought it would be, in a good way. I want to go back when it's warmer at night time to see the lights they shine on it. I also want to do that at the Colosseum, which by the way I will either do and see tomorrow or a random time during the week. I've been around the outside and had a lecture at the Arch of Constantine but I'll show pictures when I get to go inside.

Anyway, so after I hung out at the Trevi for a bit, I headed over the to Spanish Steps, which wasn't that far up. It was a lot bigger than I thought. It was enough to see once, but I don't see a reason to really venture back again. The pictures from on top were nice though.





This is from at the top of the steps. If you look at the main road leading away from the steps, I took the picture before this on the corner of street on the left.



This is the view from the church at the top of the steps.

So next I decided to walk all the way over to S. Peter's Sq. so that I could walk down Via d. Conciliazione Pia which is the official entrance way to the square. I want to see it the way it was meant to be seen. And I'm glad I did.





This is the view from standing at the edge of S. Peter's Square, beyond the traffic, looking back up the street I just walked down to get here. Speaking of traffic, my first, immediate reaction to this was not a very good one. I didn't realize that cars and buses would be driving in parts of the Square and it kind of bugged me at first. But after crossing the street and getting closer to the obelisk it got a little better, except for the half deconstructed nativity scene and almost dead Christmas tree. Hopefully by the time my family comes they'll have their act together on that. Sheesh.







So after waiting in line for only maybe 20 minutes max, it was my turn at security, and of course I'd be wearing jeans today that have metal zippers on the sides that kept making the metal detector go off. The guy just laughed when we realized it and let me go. Atleast they're easy going in this country. haha.



View from on top of the Basilica steps, about to go in the church. At this point it was raining fairly steady.



I'm off to the far side, but this is the vestibule area you're in to either go in the church or go to the cupola or tombs. So you have to read before you walk in because they're roped off in the vestibule and you have to walk back outside if you went in the wrong one.





Almost all my pictures turned out blurry so I don't have that many.





Michelangelo's Pieta. Almost a blurry mess. Ugh.





I took two videos since I felt my camera wasn't doing the place justice, even still I feel like you just have to be there..






So next I wanted to see the Tombs, and figured I'd come back on a nicer day to go up to the duomo. Well, the lines for the tomb and the duomo are right next to eachother and I just figured everyone was waiting to go in to the tombs. By the time I realized I was in the line to go up to the dome it was too late go back. So up I went!



Look how teeny tiny those people are!! I realize now, without a doubt, I am TERRIFIED of heights. And it will be further tested when I'm send up even higher through the scariest sets of stairways I've ever climbed...



This is the walk way around the inside of the dome. I could literally touch the mosaics on the sides. It was really quite the view.









And now we begin the ascent...



This stairwell was the longest and incredibly claustrophobic. This is the best I could do for a picture. I also hadn't eatin for a good 3 hours at this point so it added to the dizziness I started to feel go round and round....



There were a few windows like this along the way.



Another straight shot of stairs and a little window area you can stop at but it's not much of a spot to stop, trust me.



More stairs.. the walls start to slant at the end of these stairs.



After a few of these type of stairs I thought I was finally there! But no, there was ANOTHER windy stairway that was so tight I couldn't even get a picture and you needed a rope to hang on to because it was so narrow. I wanted to die. But it wasn't nearly as long as the other windy stairwell and then, I FINALLY MADE IT!!!



I met a really nice young couple who took this picture for me. They were originally from Seattle, moved to England in September, and were on vacation through Italy. It was nice to able to tell them places to go and things to see. It was pure luck to find them again at the top and right in front of St. Peter's Square. The girl asked if I wanted my picture taken and I was so happy she did!



Parts of the top had this nice little inner aisle to walk around. I was a little nervous about being on the outer part with so many people. But I was determined to walk around the entire perimeter of the dome.



The slightly more crowded outter area of the dome.





Vatican City



A very blue fountain in Vatican City



The dreaded decent.. At least this one didn't have a rope to hang on to. And surprisingly it wasn't too bad going down. I think it helped to have someone in front of me. Going up a lone was a little scary.



This little rooftop area you'll go on to get to the dome and to get back down. It was raining pretty good and SUPER windy when I walked on it to get to the dome but it was the weather totally turned around by the time I go on top and came back down. The weather really is that unpredictable here...

Do after the impromptu duomo experience, they dump you right into the the basilica. So for future reference to anyone who wants to know how to go about seeing everything, I go first to the Cupola, which is the dome (and that's if you have are not scared of heights or are not claustrophobic and well hydrated. I sound like my mother), then you're dumped into the basilica which will take a bit of time since they're is a lot to see. Then venture out and back over to where you got in line for the Cupola and go into the line for the tombs. Which was the least crowded and actually had no line ever the entire time I was there. Of course there was no photos permitted but I didn't see the sign until half way through and I feel like it was more geared toward John Paul's tomb, obviously for respectful purposes.




This is the main tomb area. I was surprised to see how modern it looked. I excepted something completely different. Each Pope was a little different. John Paul's was only a huge slab of marble with his name on it, while older Pope's had a sculpted replica of their likeness on top of a sarcophagus.







After the tombs, which isn't that big of a room by the way, but I did like how they have it laid out, I went back into the basilica for the third time to look for where I could light a candle for Greg. I went into every little area trying to find places to buy candles like they had in Notre Dame but there weren't any candles available. So I'm wondering if I have to go at a certain time? If anyone has any insight into this please leave a comment and let me know what I have to do! There weren't any candles out in masses like I expected in a catholic church, infact besides a few on some side alters, all the candles were only at the main alter where St. Peter is buried under. Which I did try to get pictures of but it's hard to see even in person. You'll just have to come to Italy to see for your selves!

I decided to walk through the columns on my way out of S. Peter's Square after unsuccessfully locating the Pope's window. I've been told it's easy to spot. I guess I'm not good at seeing the obvious?





The arches that are the side entrance into the square, but I'm on my way out..



Ciao St. Peter's! Hope you guys enjoyed all the pictures and videos. Time to make some eats and plan out my day tomorrow. I hope the sun at least shows... Perhaps it will be a shopping day. Oh Shoes....

6 comments:

  1. Your pictures show many areas familiar to us, however we never went up into the dome, that would have really scared me (heights and steps) but John would have loved it! We really love all your pictures and the commentary is wonderful! We will probably have to spend a week at Christmas just looking at your pictures and hearing about your adventures.
    Love, Nana & John

    ReplyDelete
  2. My knees actually got weak as I read along going up those stairs! I don't think I could have done it! I like it when you are in the pictures. You look great. And I loved the videos. Take more of them in a crowded square...interesting to hear everyone talking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jeni,
    Your pictures of the Trevi fountain were like the ones we took but you had less of a crowd. I believe by the corner there was a small church where we had gone in and we had burned a candle for Tom's brother Tim, and woman was selling candles (not sure of fee) and you took it and placed it into one of the holders and said a prayer.

    I agree with you about the Spanish steps it is enough to see once.

    The Basilica - your comments best described it "you have to be there to capture the true beauty" camera doesn't give it justice. When we were by the alter I believe to the right there was a chair railing with a large curtain - behind the curtain was a small chapel - you couldn't burn candles but you could say a prayer.

    Boy, our only regret is that we did not go up the stairs to the dome. Your pictures were breathtaking and we would have loved to gone up - even though I too am not keen of heights. The picture of you was great - it was good seeing you.

    Can't wait until your next adventure. Talk to you soon.
    Ciao,
    Love, Aunt Barb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nana & John - Honestly if I knew what I was getting into I might have chickened out and skipped going up the dome! But I'm glad I did it was such an amazing experience and I meet such great people when I walk around by myself!

    Robin - I was actually thinking about video taping the Trevi. It's really neat and there's lots of different languages speaking all around you, a lot like St. Peter's. I'll make sure to video a shopping trip so you guys can see what it's like to shop in Italy. A little different then the states. No malls here or department stores!

    Barb - I stood at the top of the church steps to take one of the pictures of the Trevi but didn't go inside. I'll have to take a look next time I go back. And at the Basilica I did go in the prayer room, it was actually kinda of crowded surprisingly so I didn't stay long. And seeing the dome was certainly my favorite part, mostly because I did it despite my fear of falling off something in every direction. You can actually go to the inside of the dome and turn around and not go up the windy scary steps to the outside of the dome. I figured my dad would be ok to do that much. You take the elevator then only go up a flight of steps that are not narrow, just a regular looking stairwell and then you turn the corner and you;re inside the dome. Words cannot describe how beautiful it is when you can see it that closely. But I'll probably go back down with my dad when Jay and Mom go up to the top. I'm not sure I can handle that again. It was too claustrophobic for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jen
    You did an excellent "Samantha Brown" tour of the Trevi Fountain, Spanish steps and St Peter's you should send your blog to the Travel channel people and maybe you could team up with her! haha
    I like the up front and personal views you give on your blog. Looking at the map of Rome it looks further to walk to these places. You sure are getting your work out.
    The Trevi fountain was beautiful and to see it at night would be something.
    About going up the steps to the top of the dome??????? I remember when we did the Statue of Liberty - that was claustrophic enough for me - but I guess I can suck it up and try it when we're there :). At least you know where to go and that helps alot. Did you know you climbed 323 steps (courtesy of Rick Steves Rome book) to get to the top of the dome? I didn't know what that big canopy was in your video - so I looked it up - interesting! It's a seven story bronze canopy made by Gian Lorenzo Bernini and he actually had some of the bronze taken and melted down from the Pantheon! Apparently the Barberini family commissioned the work and ordered the raid! What people do for fame!
    It's so amazing all the art and history your experiencing while your in Rome - it will be so exciting to see it for myself when I come.
    Keep up the good job. (Hope you find your shoes/boots!!!!!)
    Ciao

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jen...I sent Cassie an email and this is what she said...

    I don't remember specifically... I am pretty sure both times I lit candles in one of the side little areas, kind of like chapels. Honestly, it is so big, it is hard to remember exactly where it was in the basilica, but you definitely can light candles. There should be guards who speak english who could maybe answer? I know sometimes different parts of it are closed off, that could be why.

    Hope this is helpful!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete