Wednesday, January 27, 2010

It's been almost a week I know!!

Besides from yesterday and today's on site lectures there hasn't been too much to blog about. Just the usual food shopping and homework, etc etc. So I'll run through yesterday and today's adventures to let you know what I'm doing. First though, I want to share a picture of a random lunch I had last week at a place called Obika. It's a mozzarella bar a few windy side streets north of the pantheon. It's by no means authentic Italian cuisine in the sense of the little mom and pop joints but I really enjoyed my sandwich and took a picture of it so I could try to recreate it at home! I can't remember what it was called on the menu but it's grilled veggies with, of course, mozzarella.



Kate then also got a cafelatte (they are fantastic by the way) and also a great dessert that I wish I took a picture of! It was peaches with some sort of creamy, ice-cream looking like topping. It was complete heaven let me tell you..

Ok so yesterday, January 26h, my Baroque class went to Galleria Doria-Pamphilj located right on Via del Corso which is one of the oldest intact museum since the Baroque era mostly because the Pamphilj family still infact lives there. To live on Via del Corso, by the way, meant you must have been very wealthy because it was the main street in Rome where triumphal processions as well as important visitors would come down the Corso and the wealthy would be in their windows, showing their faces and being recognized as being high ranked in society. The road has been around since the time of Augustus in ancient Rome so it's quite historical.
So the Pamphilj family married into the Doria family, hence the name, and together they collected many beautiful artworks and have very grand looking rooms. One of the rooms was designed after the french style seen in the hall of mirrors of Versailles. We actually weren't suppose to take pictures but since when do I listen?



The outside of the gallery isn't really much to look at, but the garden area inside has lemon and orange trees and was pretty.



Carracci's "Flight into Egypt"



The french styled hallway.

It was a fairly small gallery but it had some Caravaggios and Berninis so I really enjoyed seeing some of their earlier works.

So that was yesterday, today I wen to see two churches - one in Santa Maria in Trastevere, and another a few blocks over called Santa Cecila. Santa Maria is a main piazza in Trastevere and many of the locals believe that area is the true center on Rome and that Piazza Venezia and the Forum and all that is just the political and traditional center. And in many ways it is. A lot of my friends and classmates have gone down there and say it's their favorite area of Rome because tourists don't really gather there, and American students are all in Campo dei Fiori so it's been nice to walk through the area and see what people mean.



This is the church in the Santa Maria piazza area. It's squished between two buildings and has a bell tower that was added in the 12th century maybe and then soon after the front was put on with the statues so it's not like it was originally but the inside is very beautiful.



The columns are originals from ancient Rome. Many of them were taken from the Temple of Isis. There are different capital styles ontop of the columns, the width of them differ, and even the height. The people at the time had to use their own mathematical equations to make each column completely the same in height or if they'd be off even by a millimeter the whole thing would have fallen down by now. And the building has survived earthquakes and nearly 1,000 years of civilization building up around it so clearly they knew what they were doing.







This is Saint Anthony. People write to him and leave their paper on his statue. There's also a big pile on the floor. Oh and that's my Renaissance Professor on the left. He's the one from England and probably my favorite professor this semester.

Next we went over the Santa Cecila. Cecila was a Christian back when Christianity was illegal and she was tortured and killed for her beliefs. This church was built in her honor for her martyrdom. The church, for the jubilee of the coming year 2000, wanted to dig up some of their sacred pieces they had underneath the church and kind of spruce up the place for the big celebration. In doing so they came across a mummified body of a woman who was perfectly preserved. Cecila was killed by having her neck slashed on the side, this mummy also showed a deep slash on her neck. Now keep in mind Christianity wasn't legalized until the rein of Constantine in 313 AD. She's an OLD mummy. And she still had her skin and fingers and hair. The church immediately had a sculpture make a replica of exactly how she was found and it now sits under the alter in the church, and they gave Cecila another burial underneath the replica. It's a very fascinating story and the sculpture is very well done, kinda of creepy in a way when you see he slash mark sculpted into the neck. I couldn't get very good pictures of it.







So that's it for now! I ave to run and get ready for my Byzantine class but I hope you enjoyed the little update! Sorry this was so brief!!

A domani, si? Ciao!

7 comments:

  1. The discovery of the mummy is amazing. To think that it was preserved to that level after all that time!
    I can only imagine what it is like to be surrounded on every level by culture and architecture of that age and significance.

    -Erik W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael and I enjoyed every word and all the pictures on your blog. We are just in awe that you are experiencing all of this. I hope you have been able to catch up on rest as well! OMG! That sandwich looks scruptious! I've got to make it. TTYL, Love, Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for commenting Erik!! Being here for a semester instead of a one or even two week vacation has really made a huge difference in all that there is to appreciate just in this one city alone. It really is completely fascinating!

    And thanks Robin I'm glad you guys are reading my little blog! haha. The food here is honestly similar to the states in that there are degrees of good foods and quick bites to eat. I think if I went to an Italian family and had dinner I'd have a better sense of homestyled Italian cuisine. But it's still all delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You won't believe it. We are going to get a winter storm tomorrow into Saturday of over a foot! Ughhh! I'm dreading it so bad. Wish I was in Rome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are doing a fantastic job!! We love your pictures and commentary, it feels like you are sitting here explaining everything, it's just the way you talk and very easy to understand. we might even get a better appreciation of art from your descriptions. Keep it coming!!
    Nana and John

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jen,
    I am really enjoying your pictures and commetaries on each trip - You have been describing the pictures like you were a travel guide - love it! I am so glad that you are experiencing all of this - you will come out of this with so much appreciation of the arts and culture of the country that I only had a little taste of. I am e-mailing two of my friends your blog - your mom might have told you - One friend will be coming over in June and I know your blog will help her make decisions as to where to go. Many thanks,
    Love,
    Aunt Barb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jen
    These were beautiful sites for sure. The hallway in the Doria museum is beautiful and reminds me of Versailles. I enjoyed your story about the Saint Cecila mummy - that was amazing
    and so interesting. Well have to try to recreate your sandwich when you get home, it looks really yummy!
    Luv ya,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete